Saturday, May 3, 2008

Kentucky

Ever since I was a little girl, I have wanted to go to Kentucky. I used to spend hours designing plans for the perfect horse farm, drawing pastures and barns, with each stall being labelled for a specific horse. I spent an entire family driving vacation wedged in the back seat between my big brothers, ignoring breathtaking scenery in favour of filling page after page with my designs.

Today we happened to be in Kentucky on its biggest day of the year, Kentucky Derby day. We drove through Louisville about 3 hours before race time, and though we couldn't see Churchill Downs from the Interstate, we could see the Goodyear blimp, so we knew where it was. We drove through the state, passing pristine farms with white post and rail fences, with magnificent thoroughbreds grazing in bluegrass fields. We listened to all the pre-race commentary on the radio, and I felt I was somehow part of something special, being so close on horse racing's holiest day. Big Brown won from his far outside post position...and Eight Belles, the field's only filly placed second. Sadly, she went down just after the race, fracturing both front ankles, and was euthanized on the spot.

Some dreams just don't come true the way you'd hope.

1 comment:

Jen @ Light Enough to Travel said...

So sad. I taped it anyway... a great victory for big brown and the jockey & jockey's family. There was no footage whatsoever of eight belles' injury, since she seemed fine right up to the wire.

Big brown was SO beautiful though. It was neat watching the race and knowing you could see with your eyes the same blimp they were filming from!